Our ecosystem building efforts are focused on creating environments,
cultures and mindsets that lead to innovator success.
HSC is a campus with 4,000 innovators in the heart of the 13th largest city in the United States.
Borrowing a term from biology, an ecosystem is the interactions between living organisms and their physical, non-living environment. Like a biological ecosystem, an innovation ecosystem functions in much the same way – it is adaptive, interconnected, highly-localized, self-governing and self-sustaining.
Check out our Innovation Challenges
We know that innovation thrives in dense, well-connected networks of ideas, people, capital, expertise and knowledge. HSC Next strives to connect these and many other functions within our community to maximize the success for local innovators, entrepreneurs, researchers and startup companies.
We are here to create opportunities, celebrate your successes and highlight local innovators.
What are the key elements of a thriving innovation ecosystem?
- Innovators who solve problems or create knowledge that leads to solutions
- Entrepreneurs who start and grow businesses and/or turn research into products that can reach the market
- People and institutions with knowledge and resources to help entrepreneurs
- Individuals and institutions that champion and convene entrepreneurs and the ecosystem
- Onramps (access points) to the ecosystem so that anyone and everyone can participate
- Intersections that facilitate the interaction of people, ideas and resources
- Stories that people tell about themselves and their ecosystem
- Culture that is rich in social capital – collaboration, cooperation, trust, reciprocity and a focus on the common good